Income Tax Refund Procedure after death of taxpayer ?

POSTED BY RSG ON September 25, 2013 7:55 am COMMENTS (3)

My mom passed away in Jan, 2012 while in active central govt service. Her TDS was deducted for 2011-12. Her form 16 had shown refund Rs 7250/-.

My father, being a legal heir, applied for the refund in his name, Pan no, and a/c no. to concerned ITO.

He received a refund cheque from ITO, Chandigarh bearing my mother’s name and mother’s pan no. but my father’s a/c no (which was correct) in May 2013.

He wrote a letter to concerned ITO with attached photocopy of cheque to issue me revised/ correct cheque in June, 2013. And again with a reminder in august, 2013 but has hasn’t heard back yet.

Pl. suggest to whom should he write to get revised cheque and whats the next step he needs to follow.

Thank you!

3 replies on this article “Income Tax Refund Procedure after death of taxpayer ?”

  1. ashalanshu says:

    Dear Rupreet, you or should I say your father, should contact the AO of your mother.



  2. RSG says:

    Thanks Ashal for your response.

    I’m not sure about Representative Assessee but here is what he did –

    He went to AO and talked with him. He mentioned that only Legal heir can apply for this so he did apply with valid documentation (Family Pension Payment Order – which is given only to legal heir).

    Moreover, they had sent the cheque but incorrect details – half details of my mother and half of my father so I’m assuming they do understand that my father is a legal heir.

    Do I need do something else too? Whom should I meet and ask them to resend the cheque?

    Thank you,

  3. ashalanshu says:

    Dear RSG, in the given case, was your father aquired Representative Assessee status from the concerned AO?



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.