Initials in PAN Card

POSTED BY KKVP1984 ON March 2, 2011 11:50 am COMMENTS (34)


I would first like to Thank Manish for running such wonderful site with lot of information, which every salaried tax payer should know!

This is my first post, and my queries are,

I got PAN card through an agent (some 2.5 years back) and neglected the name in it (P KishoreKumar). I currently dont own a Passport. I submitted name change form to PAN department to change my name to KishoreKumar Vijayalakshmi Padmanabhan. It was rejected asking for proofs which carry my name as above, but I dont have any such proof, even my Emp ID, DL, Deg Certificate holds KishoreKumar VP.

1. How can I change the name in PAN Card to KishoreKumar VP or KishoreKumar Vijayalakshmi Padmanabhan?

2. If this is not possible, can I start investing in MF using the existing proof? and would that porduce any concerns at a later stage for my wife to get the money bacj, in case of any mishap to me?

Kindly advice on this

Thanks in advance


34 replies on this article “Initials in PAN Card”

  1. Vinayaka says:

    My name in Aadhaar card as VINAYAGA MOORTHI S and In my PAN, how should I include “S” at last?

    1. Jagoinvestor says:

      You can apply for PAN name change on Income tax portal.

  2. ASHOKKUMAR says:


    This is Ashokkumar, I want to apply for new pan card, but my PAN application rejected every time in online. because mismatch data

    my adhar card name is ASHOKKUMAR K How to apply my new PAN card? please help me.

    1. Anuradha Singh says:

      Hello Mr. Kumar, we won’t be able to help you with this query. Thank You


  3. Sravanp says:

    Hi iam sravan p
    In my pf acount my name is sravan p but in my pan card pendota sravan,can i change my pan name to sravan p

    1. Jagoinvestor Admin says:

      Hi Sravanp
      Yes you can change your name on PAN card by submitting the PAN change or correction form online

  4. athul johnson says:

    when i applied for pan card i gave my father’s name as Johnson A J but in my pan card it is typed as just Johnson is it a problem? If so how can I correct it? because I have to link it with my bank account.

    1. Jagoinvestor Admin says:

      Hi athul johnson
      The name on all of your documents specially your ID proofs should be same. So if you want to change the name on your PAN card you can do that by submitting a correction form online.

      1. Usha Shree M says:

        Hi, I’m Usha Shree M
        Sir recently I got my PAN card, in my all documents my father name came oly with Muni Swamy D, but in my PAN card they hv written in place of Father’s name as Muni Swamy Dora Swamy.
        Is there any problem with this?

        Bcz I’m planning to apply for change of name in father’s initial.

        1. Jagoinvestor Admin says:

          Hi Usha Shree M
          The name on your all the documents should be same to avoid any further issues because of name mismatch. So decide which name you want to continue with and then apply for name change.

  5. Shruti says:

    My dad’s name on d pan card is narayana subramaniam. It had to be narayan subramaniam. Narayan is my grandfather’s name. Will this be a problem?

    1. Jagoinvestor Admin says:

      Hi Shruti
      Yea, there is a possibility of causing problem because of name mismatch in future. So its better to update the correct name of your father on his PAN.

  6. Md Arsad says:

    Hi my name is MD ARSAD in all documents but when I apply for PAN it will not accepting my initial MD.what should I do?

    1. You need to just stick to one name ! ..

  7. Shrikanth GV says:

    My name is Shrikanth G V but while applying for pan card it is not accepting initials.. All my other documets have G V on it including passport.. I have no documents supporting the fullform.. So what should i do next to get a pan card.??

    1. You need to get a affidavit for name change and submit that document along with this.

  8. Kiruthika s says:

    Hi this is kiruthika.. Actually all my documents and aadhar card name is printed as kiruthika s .my dad name is sundaram p .now II am getting application number u-631636005 ..I am using that number to track my pan card..but in that tracking details only showing Kiruthika …is it right or wrong shall I applied for pan correction …. Plz guide me….I want urgent to submit my pan card for job……thank u

    1. Jagoinvestor Admin says:

      Hi Kiruthika s
      First decide which name you want to keep in your important documents. If you want to change your name on PAN card then you can apply for correction online. Your name should be same on all of your important documents.

  9. imran says:

    My name is IMRAN D and my father name is DASTAGIRI SAB. But in PAN card my Name printed as IMRAN DASTAGIRISAB. What should i do to change the name from IMRAN DASTAGIRIRSAB to IMRAN D

    1. Jagoinvestor Admin says:

      Hi imran
      You have to fill the application form for name change in PAN then pay the fees and send you documents to the given address or you can mail it also or you can also choose the option of e-kyc by providing your Aadhaar number.

  10. Sahana says:


    1. Jagoinvestor Admin says:

      Hi Sahana
      You can change your name on Aadhaar card from UIDAI’s website and then apply for PAN or Enter the same name for PAN as it is on Aadhaar. It’s better to keep same name on both.

  11. Md Saquib Nehal says:

    In my all documents my initial name is “Md” but in pan card Md is not being accepted.
    How can we apply for new pan card?

    1. You dont have to apply for new pan card. You just have to apply for name change in existing card !

  12. Pushpa T K says:

    My name is Pushpa T K in all my documents except for Pan card where it is Pushpa ( without initials). Now I cannot link my Aadhar with PAN because Aadhar card has it Pushpa T K. If I try updating PAN database it is not accepting initials but only expansion. What should be done in this case? Place reply.

    1. Nandish Desai says:

      You will have to get it corrected. You will always face issues because of this mismatch better get it fixed

  13. Vinai says:

    All my valid documents have the name T Vinai Datta Reddy. But initials aren’t allowed in PAN Card. What is a way out. I have no documents without the initial.
    Please help!

    1. You need to change your name legally !

  14. Manasa says:

    My name is Manasa J
    my father name is Jayaram T
    in my pan card my father name is printed as Thammayanna Jayaram..
    In all my marks card it is Jayaram T.
    my question is should I go for correction as Jayaram Thammayanna or is it OK if it is Thammayanna Jayaram. . please tell me

    1. Better have a consistent same name across all documents !

  15. Ajay says:

    kkvp – they should do it if you get a letter signed by the gazzeted officer. Talk to the PAN facilitation centre and they will help you with the list of documents.

  16. KKVP1984 says:

    I would request someone to answer my query, thank you in advance

  17. KKVP1984 says:

    Thank you, Srikanth for your swift response.

    I tried changing the name to KishoreKumar VP, online. However it didn’t accept and said only expansions are allowed. So I submitted with KishoreKumar Vijayalakshmi Padmanabhan, and sent the printed form with supporting documents to PAN centre, they have requested documents carrying my name with expanded, which I don’t have.

    Kindly advice on proceeding further

    Thanks in advance.


  18. It is good that you are addressing this concern upfront. For smooth MF transaction processing, the names in three places will have to match:

    1. Your MF folio
    2. Your PAN card (and KYC)
    3. Your bank account.

    Initial expansions are OK as long as the initials are in the same position between the expanded and unexpanded versions of the name. For example, in your case, if the name is VP Krishnakumar in one place and Krishnakumar Vijayalakshmi Padmanabhan in another place, that would be a problem (initial and expansion locations are different). But as long as it is Krishnakumar VP, and Krishnakumar Vijayalakshmi Padmanabhan, you will be OK.

    Ideally, same name, initials everywhere would work (obviously).

    So, in your case, it would be best to have your name in PAN changed to Krishnakumar VP using your id proofs that carry such name, and ensure that your MF investments (and KYC) are done with the new PAN card. Also, ensure that the bank account has a similar name.

    Regarding your wife – the best way is to invest jointly in Anyone or survivor mode to ensure ease of access in emergency situations.

    Hope this helps,


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.