Section 80DDB

POSTED BY Murali Krishna ON December 21, 2012 4:44 pm COMMENTS (3)


For 80DDB (, do we have to submit Certificate only from a Government Doctor?

Can we submit certificate from a Private Doctor with other specialization?


3 replies on this article “Section 80DDB”

  1. V.K.Malhotra says:

    I am a patient of ULCERATIVE COLITIS for more than 15 years now and I have been claiming deductions under 80 DDB basis
    copy of a certificate issued by the Chief Commissioner of Income Tax under sec 17(2)(ii)(b) of the Income Tax act 1961 accorded approval to the Pvt Hospital for exemption of medical benefits from perquisite value in respect of medical treatment of prescribed diseases. My office wants to know exact definition of the ruling where such exemption is allowed. Pls help.

    1. Sorry , I am not clear on this .

  2. Unfortunately yes. There is one option which you can try. A govt doctor can base his opinion before giving the certificate on the diagnosis of your doctor.

    Most private doctors will know people in govt hospitals and they should be able to request them to issue the certificate based on their diagnosis and other test reports

    This may or may not work but is worth a try if the tax you will save is significant.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.